Thanks you readers for your plenty of inputs on the last post, your plenty of love for fabric # 3 made me feel a lot better about the impulse purchase last year, perhaps I will make a coat out of it, as it IS very soft, supple, and thick. Thanks a BUNCH to Lin3arossa for finding me this beautiful coat, made from the same huge houndstooth fabric (I would still like a darker color for contrast). I am still a little apprehensive about the fullness of the coat, after I had seen the coat from more angles. I think it looks beautiful on her, but I am not sure if my small figure would disappear in that coat. I am still gonna to bug her on that fabric though 🙂
On to still quite summery stuff –I made a dress from a vogue pattern!
When I first started sewing, I had never been interested in Vogue pattern, thinking that they were a little… matron-y. The girls modeling the clothing are generally older and the pricing were higher. I had forgotten about Vogue ever since burdastyle and BWOF, until I came across Erica B’s DIY Style. She uses so many Vogue patterns and made some beautiful clothing out of it, and she made me want to sew quite a few Vogue patterns. My first one: V1158:
Can you believe that their retail “regular” price is $30?? Does ANYONE buy a pattern at 30 dollars? I waited until the 4 dollar sale at Joans and snatched it up, along with a vintage Vogue pattern to make a vintage dress next. I also felt the softest striped linen at Hancock fabric the same week, and a shameless rendition of V1158 was born:
I love it! I think I did a better job at matching the front and back seams than the one on the pattern, by using selfish seamstresses’s plaid matching method here. I didnt try to match up the side, but they look fine to me even though they are slightly off. I also know that I am no good at inserting zippers to the side of the bodice, so I moved the zipper to the back. To adjust for my height, I took in the shoulder seam by a huge amount, probably 1-2 inches. The dress also came with quite some ease, so I took in the sides by half a inch or so as well.
I did forget to get lining for this dress, so I just cut up one of the old blue bedsheets in my stack. I actually really like how it looked and was tempted to make the lining an entirely separate dress. But I couldn’t wait to buy lining to finish the dress! Together with the soft linen, this dress is a little thick at the seams, but is probably one of the most soft and comfortable dress I have!
Did I mention that this whole dress, except for the zipper and the sergering (believe, the linen fabric NEEDED sergering), this dress is sewn using my beloved singer 201. It was a pleasure to sew on it! I never had to change the bobbin due to a stuck thread at all, unlike my Brothers. Sorry Brother! Singer201 wins at straight stitch!
Its soft, breathy, drapy, heavy, and the color palette reminds me of a picnic by the sea. Perhaps I will wear it to the sea this summer, lets hope for the Indian summer!